Saturday, October 21, 2017

Starting a HUB Quest - Growth Mindset





Here Come the Hub
Becoming part of the Edmodo Learning Hub has to be one of the most impactful events of my teaching career. It gave me the idea of "super chunking" my lessons for students. I teach at an inner city school with a high rate of turnover and a lot of absenteeism. These two things are a problem for student learning. You can't expect to have all learning extend over weeks of time. In the Hub there are mini tasks "super chunked" activities that demonstrate some type of learning or application. This year I have been trying to design simultaneous experiences that will build background knowledge, much like what life looks like. Super chunked experiences that happen each day and build background knowledge you refer back to to deepen learning. So each class period has a little bit of a lot of concepts and experiences. My hope is that when students miss class - they don't miss so much that they can never catch up.
Let's Play
The Hub has also given me more ideas about gamification motivation. When you play in the Hub you get points, rewards, badges and recognition in a leaderboard. These are all part of gamified learning. As I work through activities I can see what motivates me to do more and learn more. I learn new technology, support my peers, use the internet and social media to share and demonstrate digital citizenship and CREATE using technology. This is one of my favorite things. These experiences and models help me to design my classroom instruction, both online and offline.
What about Edmodo
Another thing the Hub does is constantly challenge me to be a reflective teacher. I answer questions about pedagogy in discussions about digital citizenship, project based learning, grade level challenges and opportunities and humanitarian efforts life the recent disasters we have had. The Hub asks me to frequently reflect on how I can use Edmodo both as a teacher and as a learner. I think becoming a reflective teacher, student or individual  is the single most powerful tool to increase personal growth in any area.

Start your Edmodo Teacher Learning Network today



Read more for the Life-Long Learner in You
Gamification of Education
Teaching above the test

No comments:

Post a Comment