Friday, June 22, 2018

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho a Tweeting I will Go!





Family Time

I was first introduced to the Twitter Chat world with #edmodochat. Before then I didn't really see why I would want to get involved in one more thing on social media. After all, that just takes more time which is something I have "tons" of (LOL - Not! seriously!) Edmodo has a workspace / learn space called the Hub. It really is a Hub to learning, growing, sharing, playing and connecting. A challenge was presented to "Come to the #edmodochat". Out of all the groups of people I am connected to, I would say I feel the safest with my Edmodo family. For me, they are encouraging, informative, timely and current. For these reasons, I stalked like a ghost my first chat. Of course, I had to set up a Twitter account first (Bardehar!) Step by step, I get where I am going. I "opened" the door to the chat room, peered inside and found many of my Edmodo family had already arrived. Even though they are family, I was still timid to join the chat. I saw there was vocabulary I did not know, extra places to log in before and after chats, back channels, navigation, and technology. What the heck was all this stuff? So I followed as best I could turns out that was something else I needed to learn. How was I supposed to comment, retweet, message and so on? Talk about a roller coaster. My journey thus far has taken two years. I am sure I have not learned everything there is to know about tweeting, but now I can follow multiple conversations and chat with people from all around the world who are all interested in making education better. I need these kinds of positive conversations to help keep me encouraged motivated, current and creative. We have to keep these skills honed or we are going to be standing in a field of weeds in what was, not what is or what will be. If we are teaching to students futures, we have to be cutting edge in strategies and technology. 


My Learning

Virtually every month there is a #edmodochat. Now I am at the point I want to "go" to the chat to "see" everyone and of course what they have to say about the topic of the chat. I can safely say I learn something at every chat. I am always drawn into a chat from a topic I love like Culture, Service Learning and Global Collaboration which are like candy to me! I have found though that I should attend chats that stretch me to think more about the way I teach like Digital Citizenship, Project Based Learning and Whole Child Development. Additionally, I learn what my peers are doing within their sphere of influence and it challenges me to do more than I had dreamed before. 



Impact

There are many more #edmodochats I have attended this year, but let me share some of how what I have learned has impacted my school - not just my classroom. 

I applied for our school to be a Global School of Service with Youth Service America. We were accepted! This opened the door to eligibility to apply for grants. I applied and we received two grants $1500.00 each. We had the single biggest day of cultural shift in our schools history on September 11th, 2017 for the Day of Service and Remembrance. A week later I debriefed with the principal about the event and we could feel the shift in the atmosphere. This is significant as we are an inner city school with 100% free meals, a large percent of the student population are in displaced homes and recognized on national news in 2017 as the 18th worst neighborhood in the nation and low performing school. At the end of the year I applied to become a certifying organization for the President's Volunteer Service Award and was accepted. This week, as part of our summer service project, we completed our first elevated bed with trellis. We plan to augment an addition 9 beds to the same style. This will help with weeding, shade, climbing plant and aesthetic beauty. I helped my students experience and learn more about global collaboration by participating in Global Collaboration DayGlobal Maker Day International Dot Day, and MLK Day of Service to mention a few. 


 


Discussions from #edmodochat about Digital Citizenship have encouraged me to look into technology and literacy, learning how to influence and transform a student to be a respectful, responsible and resourceful citizen on and offline. I have used the Edmodo Spotlight resource center to search for creative lesson resources, used KQED to strengthen my media literacy skills and get ideas to teach students, ISTE to learn about student and educational leader standards, EverFi for self-paced courses and  Common Sense Media to help with discussions about digital citizenship, character just to name a few. I worked with my school academy team to add a Digital Literacy & Citizenship element into capstone projects for graduation requirements.
The focus on Project Based Learning has been fuel to service learning projects where students discover the need, do the research and implement a program. Two 8th grade students wrote and applied for a grants for a recycling program and breakfast program. Their passion lead them through research, data collection, budgets, team building, leadership and impact. Together they received $1500.00 for their projects.

  

I was accepted to present at ASCD Empower18 in Boston and the #edmodochat about Whole Child Development were informative and made me feel even more prepared for the conference. The Whole Child Initiative is a focus from just academics to the long term success of all children. I was able to attend the Global Leadership Summit pre conference in Boston and finally met Lucy Gray, part of the Edmodo Family, #edmodochat and global guru. I went to a session with Barbara Boroson and did my first full session sketchnote, a method of communicating I learned via twitter chats. I was exhausted from so much information processing, but pretty excited. When I shared with Barbara, it turned out to be her first encounter with sketchnoting and was pretty excited to use it as an additional method to encourage students with autism to take their notes and share what they learn.  Additionally, I applied for a grant to support Social Emotional Learning (SEL) for students in our school. As I went through the grant writing process I reflected on the Whole Child and SEL needs of our school. 


Participating in each #edmodochat challenges my metacognition to give reflective responses that contribute to the chat conversations. This process helps develop me as a learner, leader and innovator. I am able to apply digital literacy and citizenship, build my personal brand, add to my portfolio and inspire others. This journey which started with #edmodochat gave me the confidence to take on building and managing our school twitter account @ocmhsbison. It also was a foundation for our administrators to start a school #TheBisonHerd to help teachers grow, collaborate, celebrate, share and strengthen a positive school culture of digital citizenship. I recently explored a new chat with #aussieed and have started a new PLN family on the other side of the world. The adventure continues. 




No comments:

Post a Comment